In the city of Fayetteville, 911 dispatchers work for the City of Fayetteville Fire and Police Departments.<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn -> <!- mfunc feat_school ->
The city of Fayetteville is always looking for good 911 dispatchers to join their team. There are several reasons that these people are needed:
- Fayetteville has a crime rate that is higher than the average of Arkansas.
- Fayetteville has a property crime rate that is higher than the average for the state of Arkansas.
- The chance of being a victim of a crime in Fayetteville is 1 in 23.
- The crime rate in the city saw an increase in murders, rapes and robberies from 2006-2011.
There are some requirements that you will need to fulfill in order to get a job as a 911 dispatcher in the city of Fayetteville. Some of these steps include:
|Meet Education and Job Skills Qualifications|
|Apply for a Position in Fayetteville|
|On-the-Job Training and Skills Development|
|Seek Additional Certifications|
Step 1. Meet Education and Job Skills Qualifications
The city of Fayetteville has a couple of minimum requirements that they have set in place in order to become a 911 dispatcher in the state. You need to have a high school diploma as well as a year of experience in public safety dispatch or a related experience. However, in order to be the most successful in the field, you want to stand out from the competition. The way to do this is to seek out a certificate or degree in a higher education setting. There are several colleges and universities in the area of Fayetteville which have degrees, certificates and courses that are relative to the job position of dispatcher.
To build a good foundation to work in the area of dispatching, it is recommended that you look into the following degrees, certificates and courses. These include:
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Criminal Justice. Courses that will help you as a 911 dispatcher include Emergency Medical Responder, Law Enforcement in Society, Police Administration and Introduction to Law.
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Fire Science Administration and Technology. Courses that can help you in your career include Introduction to Fire Science, Basics of Emergency Medical Technician, Firefighter Health and Safety and Introduction to Computer Information.
- Certificate in Paramedic Science. Courses that you will find useful as a dispatcher include EMT Basic Emergency Medical Technician, Emergency Respiratory Care, Traumatology and Human Systems and Patient Assessment.
Those who work as a 911 dispatcher in the city of Fayetteville are paid a salary of $13.49 to $20.55 per hour. It is important that you are fully aware of the job qualifications that must be met before you are hired for a position as a 911 dispatcher. Some of these job requirements include:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must have a valid state driver’s license
- Cannot have any felony convictions
- Must be able to pass a drug screening
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Must pass a pre-employment dispatch exam
- Must have a data entry speed of 8000 KPH or higher
- Must be proficient in computers and multi-line phone systems
<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Step 2. Apply for a Position in Fayetteville
If you want to apply for a position as a 911 dispatcher, you can view the Human Resources Department at Fayetteville to inquire. You can also call 479-575-8278 or visit the human resources office at city hall at 113 West Mountain Road. In addition you can apply for dispatch positions online through Glassdoor.com.
Step 3. On-the-Job Training and Skills Development
Before you start working as a dispatcher, there are some skills that you will need to have which you will also further develop on the job. These skills include:
- Must be able to work in a high stress environment
- Must be able to work in a high call volume environment
- Must meet the training requirements of the National Incident Management System within 6 months of your hire date
- Must obtain Level 1 & Level 2 certificates from the Arkansas Crime Information Center within 6 months of your hire date
- Must be able to pay attention to detail
There are also some skills that you will be required to learn as part of the job training experience. Learning these skills is an indication that you will be able to perform the duties of the job in a proficient manner. Some of these skills include:
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including scanner, fax machine and photocopier
- Learn how to operate relevant equipment including radio system, mapping computers, fire alarm panel and weather radio
- Learn how to multitask
- Learn to work on other aspects of the job
<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
Step 4. Seek Additional Certifications
When you are employed as a dispatcher with the city of Fayetteville, it is important to remember that you should obtain additional certifications that are related to the job. This helps you gain an edge on the competition. Some of the ones that you should seek out include:
- In the city of Fayetteville, dispatchers must undergo 16 hours of training to help provide them with the skills necessary to handle difficult situations. However, in addition to the required training some dispatchers are able to receive additional training, up to 121 hours of enhanced specialized training. Some of this training provides hands on experience through mock emergencies to find out how a high stressful situation can be handled. Situations such as missing or sexually exploited children are included within this training.
- TheAmerican Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR certification is a program that trains you not only on CPR but also how to talk someone through doing CPR over the phone.