According to the Alabama Department of Labor, the state’s ranks of 911 dispatchers are due to expand at the rate of about 6.1 percent between 2016 and 2026, resulting in about 220 openings per year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics already ranks the state as number one in overall concentration of dispatcher positions nationwide.
That’s not necessarily a great thing for salaries, keeping the median for the state at around $30,700, or $14.76/hr, as of 2018. Putting time in and climbing the ladder can pay off, however, as the top ten percent of dispatchers bring in a median of about $46,930, or $22.56/hr each year.
Salaries at the Agencies Employing 911 Dispatchers in Alabama
Alabama has a combination of consolidated and agency-independent dispatch opportunities state-wide, including some of the highest concentrations in the country for rural dispatchers.
Birmingham-Hoover Area – Includes
- Jefferson County Consolidated 911
- Hoover Emergency Communication District
- Birmingham Emergency Communication District
- 10th percentile: $10.00/hr / $20,810
- Median: $17.26/hr / $35,900
- 90th percentile: $27.35/hr $56,880
This region includes the Jefferson County Consolidated 911 Center, the largest in the state, which dispatches for Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, 19 cities and towns, and 29 fire departments.
Montgomery Area – Includes
- Montgomery City Emergency Communication District
- Montgomery County Emergency Communication District
- 10th percentile: $11.16/hr / $23,210
- Median: $15,66/hr / $32,570
- 90th percentile: $20.43/hr / $42,500
A touch-screen CAD system cuts down on the workload for Montgomery city dispatchers, who handle police, fire, and EMS calls.
Huntsville – Includes
- Huntsville-Madison E911 Center
- 10th percentile: $12.63/hr / $26,270
- Median: $16.02/hr / $33,330
- 90th percentile: $23,70/hr / $49,300
The combined Huntsville-Madison E911 center is located here, boosting the region to one of the highest median salaries for dispatchers in the state.
Southeast Alabama Nonmetropolitan Area – Includes
- Ozark-Dale County 911 Center
- Henry County E911
- Houston County E911
- 10th percentile: $9.05/hr / $18,830
- Median: $11.62/hr / $24,170
- 90th percentile: $15.64/hr / $32,530
This area ranks as the third in the U.S. for rural dispatch job concentration according to BLS.
Salaries for Dispatchers in All Cities and Non-Metro Areas Tracked by The US Department of Labor
A full breakdown of salaries for dispatchers throughout Alabama can be found here:
Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2018. Figures represent accumulated data for all areas of employment for emergency services dispatchers https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_al.htm#43-5031. BLS salary data represents state and MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Job growth projections sourced from the Alabama Department of Labor and published in the U.S. Department of Labor-funded Long Term Occupational Projections (2016-2026) database – https://projectionscentral.com/Projections/LongTerm.
All salary and job growth data accessed in June 2019.