Emergency dispatchers in Lincoln, Nebraska work out of the Lincoln Emergency Communications Center. They are responsible for dispatching fire, EMS, and police/sheriff in response to emergencies. The position is very demanding. For this reason authorities in Lincoln continually need qualified emergency response professionals to respond to accidents and crimes such as:
- Your chances of being a victim of a violent crime in Lincoln are 1 in 270, which is higher than the average for Nebraska.
- Your chances for being a victim of any crime in Lincoln are 1 in 25.
- The number of rapes in Lincoln has been steadily increasing, and nearly doubled between 1999 and 2011.
The city of Lincoln has implemented a step based system for becoming an emergency operator. The steps include:
|Meet Education and Job Requirements|
|Apply For a Position in Lincoln|
|Complete Written Exam, Typing Test, and Oral Interview|
|Conditional Employment, Background Check, Medical Exam, and Psychological Exam|
Step 1. Meet Education and Job Requirements
The basic requirement to become an emergency dispatcher in Lincoln is a high school diploma or equivalent, or sufficient experience to show that you have the skills necessary to perform the required job functions. In order to have the best opportunity of attaining the position you are recommended to seek a college or university degree which will prepare you for the job.
- Rasmussen College - Justice Studies Programs offering a wide range of industry-relevant programs
- Utica College - Online Bachelor's of Science in Criminal Justice
At the many Lincoln area colleges and learning institutions you will find courses which will prepare you for your career as an emergency dispatcher including:
- Communication Studies. In obtaining a degree in communication studies you will become familiar with many of the systems and processes used in the field of emergency response. You will be trained in effective communication which is essential in the field of emergency response.
- Spanish. Being bilingual or multilingual can be a huge advantage when applying for a position as an emergency dispatcher. Those who speak English as a second language may not be able to adequately express themselves in times of emergency. Spanish speaking callers may be able to better to relate in their native language.
- Management. If you would like to have a career in emergency dispatch, especially if your career aspirations include going into management, a degree in management would be appropriate.
There are additional requirements to being considered for a job as an emergency dispatcher in Lincoln. These requirements include:
- You must be 18 years of age
- Experience in operating emergency communications equipment preferred
- Experience in dispatch perferred
Step 2. Apply For a Position in Lincoln
The city of Lincoln prefers that you apply online for the position of emergency dispatcher. In order to do so you will need to go to this website and create an account. Next you will need to search for posted openings for emergency dispatchers. Select the link, fill out the application, and submit.
Step 3. Complete Written Exam, Typing Test, and Oral Interview
- After your application is reviewed, if you are selected to go to the next round you will be scheduled to take a written exam. Instructions about the content of the exam and how to complete the exam will be provided.
- After successful completion of the written exam you will be given a typing test in order to ensure that you are able to type at a sufficient speed and accuracy required to perform your job functions.
- After you have successfully completed the typing test you will be invited to an oral interview.
Step 4. Conditional Employment, Background Check, Medical Exam, and Psychological Exam
After completing all of the previous pre-requisites you may be selected for a conditional offer of employment. This offer will be subject to the following conditions:
- You will be subject to a background check, including a check for any prior felony convictions.
- You will be subject to a medical exam, including a drug test.
- You will be subject to a psychological exam to ensure that you are psychologically fit to perform the functions of the job position.